Municipal Election Day is Monday, Oct. 22 - be sure to vote!
Ontario’s municipal and school board elections take place on October 22, 2018. If you are a resident, owner or tenant of property in Ontario, a Canadian citizen and 18 years of age you can vote in Ontario’s municipal and school board elections.
Municipal Election Day throughout Ontario is Monday, October 22nd, 2018.
Voters in the Municipality of Whitestone elect one Mayor and four Councillors to form the Whitestone Municipal Council. In addition, voters are eligible to elect Trustees for the Near North District School Board or the Nipissing – Parry Sound Catholic District School Board.
Notice is hereby given that in compliance with the Municipal Elections Act, lists of all persons entitled to vote in the forthcoming Municipality of Whitestone Election will be available on September 4, 2018 at the Municipality of Whitestone Municipal Office at 21 Church Street, Dunchurch Ontario
Electors should contact the Municipal Office (705) 389-2466 or attend in person to examine the Voters' List to ensure that their names and relevant information are correctly shown. Application may be made by any person for the purpose of making additions or corrections to, or deletions from the Voters' List to the Municipal Clerk. The Revision Period will commence at the opening of business on Tuesday, September 4, 2018 and continue during regular office hours up to and including October 19, 2018. And from 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. October 22, 2018.
For further information regarding the October 22, 2018 Municipal Election contact the Municipal Office.
Chief Administrative Officer / Clerk
To be eligible to vote in this Election, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age, and
- Be a Canadian Citizen, and
- Live in the Municipality or own property in the Municipality, or both.
The Municipality of Whitestone is committed to ensuring that all qualified Electors have the opportunity to vote. The use of three options: Vote-By-Internet, Vote-By-Phone and Vote-By-Mail provides opportunities for the Electoral process as it eliminates the need for Electors to attend a polling station and provides for an extended period of time for Electors to cast their ballot.
Full details are available in the 2018 Municipal Election Accessibility Plan (pdf).
Any questions or comments regarding accessibility should be directed to the CAO/Clerk at the Municipality of Whitestone.
If you are on the voters list, you should receive a voter kit by late September. The kit will contain voting instructions along with a ballot and secrecy envelope and a control number for electronic voting (which is available again this year).
You can cast your ballot in one of the following ways:
- By completing and mailing or delivering your ballot, in the secrecy envelope provided, to the Municipal Office so that it arrives by Monday, October 22nd.
- Over the Internet, or by telephone from 10:00am on Tuesday, October9th until 8:00pm on Monday, October 22nd – using your electronic voting control number.
- In person, at the Municipal Polling Station which will be located in the Whitestone Municipal Office at 21 Church Street in Dunchurch, from 8:00am – 8:00pm on Monday, October 22nd.
Because electronic voting is available, there is no need for advance polls. Voters do not need to be present in the Municipality on voting day or any time during the voting period (October 9th – 22nd). You may cast your vote from anywhere in the world!
I live or own property in another Municipality besides Whitestone. Can I vote in more than one Municipality?
Yes.You may vote in the municipal election in any Ontario Municipality in which you reside or own property. Note however, that you can only reside in one Municipality.
The Election method for the 2018 Municipal Election in the Municipality of Whitestone will be mail, internet, and telephone voting. Please see By-Law No. 18-2017.
The Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) is offering “So You Want to Run for Council”. This Course will provide an overview of what you need to know before you decide to run for Municipal Office and what you should know to begin your Candidacy. For more information regarding Ontario Municipal Elections, click here.
A Candidate’s Information Package is available for all Candidates. This package will continue to be updated as further information is provided by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing (MMAH).
- 2018 Certified Candidate's List
- 2018 Declaration of Acclamation
- 2018 Nomination Papers Filed
- Certificate of permitted amount of candidate’s expenses, Final Calculation
- Certificate of permitted amount of contributions to a candidate own campaign, Final Calculation
- Telephone/Internet Voting and Vote by Mail Election Policies and Procedures for the 2018 Ontario Municipal Elections (dated December 2017)
- Revised Telephone/Internet Voting and Vote by Mail Election Policies and Procedures for the 2018 Ontario Municipal Elections (dated October 2018)
Municipal Elections in all Ontario Municipalities, including the Municipality of Whitestone, are Governed by the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.
On June 9, 2016, the Municipal Elections Modernization Act, 2016, or Bill 181, received Royal Assent, making a number of changes to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996. A review of these changes can be found by clicking here.
- Candidates’ Guide for Ontario Municipal and School Board Elections
- Voters' Guide for Ontario Municipal and School Board Elections
- Municipal Act, 2001
- Education Act, R.S.O. 1990
Are you on the list to Vote in the upcoming Municipal Election?
If you are an Ontario Resident over the age of 18, you can visit voterlookup.ca to confirm or update your information in a few easy steps. You can also change your School support for Electoral purposes, and add names to your property address.
Updating this information will help to ensure that Municipal Voters’ Lists are accurate and up-to-date in preparation for Municipal and School Board Elections occurring this October. Find out ahead of time if you are eligible to Vote. Visit voterlookup.ca or call 1-866-296-6722. Have your say... Log on today!