Building Department


Building Department

As a homeowner, you may be planning to construct a new building, construct an addition or renovate an existing building but, before any construction can begin, you will need to ensure that you have obtained the required permits.  Building Permits are required for new buildings, renovations and additions including, but not limited to; adding a room, finishing the basement, building a garage, remodeling the interior of your home, change of use buildings, or replacing a deck.

The Municipality of Whitestone is responsible for enforcing the Ontario Building Code and issuing permits for construction, renovations, demolition and certain change of use buildings.

How-To Determine What You Can Build

1. Find your Property on the West Parry Sound Geography Network using your Roll Number, Street Address, or Lot and Concession.

2. Consult Whitestone Zoning Maps to determine Zone Boundaries for your Property; Maps are PDF format and open in a new window.

a.  Sheet index in Zoning By-Law Sheet Index Maps file includes sheets from the former Townships of Burton, Croft, East Burpee, Ferrie, Hagerman, Village of Maple Island, , and the Village of Dunchurch
b.  Setback diagram in Zoning Guide
c.  Zone requirements in Zoning Standards Reference Table


3. Once you know your Property's Zone, review the Lot requirements found on: 

Zoning By-Law 07-2018 Setbacks - Sample Diagram

Building Bylaw

Download the complete Building Bylaw No. 32-2015
Building Department Rates and Fees effective October 15th, 2020.

Building Department Site Map

General Information Page

Caring for your Sewage System
Why do we have By-Laws and Codes?
How long does it take to obtain a Permit?
When is a Building/Demolition Permit required?
Ontario Building Code Excerpts
Examples of projects that require a Permit
Examples of projects that may not require a Permit
Construction without a Permit

Building Bylaw Excerpts

Frontage on Public Road or Street
Gooseneck Lake, Kashegab Lake Wahwashkesh Lake - Flood Elevation
Extensions of Existing Buildings Encroaching Upon Yards
Coverage Maximums-Residential
Mobile Homes
Accessory Buildings
Accessory Uses
Sleeping Cabin
Temporary Uses
Hunting Camp

Applying For A Building Permit

Download Forms
Items Required for Complete Application
Required Drawings & Plans
Docks & Boathouses


Dock Regulations - Illustration Only

Request For Inspection

Required Inspections
Accessibility to Inspect
Conditions for Residential Occupancy
Notification of Occupancy

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the

Chief Building Official, Tyler Irwin

Tel:  705-389-2466 Ext. 26

Fax:  705-389-1855